What is Information Literacy?
Information literacy (IL) is a set of abilities enabling individuals to:
Collaboration between librarians and instructors can help to increase students’ information literacy skills. IL is a process that spans the entire college experience and enhances life-long learning.
Information Literacy Competency Standards for Higher Education
The information literate student:
- Determines the nature and extent of the information needed
- Accesses needed information effectively and efficiently
- Evaluates information and its sources critically and incorporates selected information into his or her knowledge base and value system
- Uses information effectively to accomplish a specific purpose
- Understands many of the economic, legal, and social issues surrounding the use of information and accesses and uses information ethically and legally